Gift cards have become more popular than ever, ranking among the during the past holiday season. Who wouldn’t want a gift they can buy whenever they want?
Gift cards are frequently regarded as a safer alternative to conventional presents. A gift card is the best option if you’re searching for a quick and simple gifting method.
Because of this, you might get a gift card over the holiday season and wish to add it to your Cash App account. A well-known mobile payment program called Cash App enables users to transfer and receive money from coworkers, friends, and loved ones.
Which gift cards therefore work with Cash App?
Short Answer: Cash App does not support gift cards since it’s incompatible with gift-based cards. It supports Plaid-linked bank accounts, credit cards, ATM cards, debit cards, Chime, Robinhood, Netspend Green Dot, and financial institutions.
Unlike other well-known payment apps—such as PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay — Cash App does not support gift cards.
Although a gift card cannot be added directly to Cash App, there is a workaround that enables you to add the gift card’s value to your Cash App account.
Can I Add a Gift Card to Cash App?
- Can I Add a Gift Card to Cash App?
- How To Add a Gift Card to Cash App?
- How to Transfer Money from Gift Card to Cash App?
- Can You Add a Visa Gift Card to Cash App?
- How To Transfer Money from Visa Gift Card to Cash App?
- Can I Add a Prepaid Card to Cash App?
- Add a Gift Card to Cash App Summary
Except for a few prepaid cards that are authorized by the government, you cannot add a gift card to Cash App. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express credit cards are accepted through the app. Prepaid cards, like gift cards bought in-person or online, won’t typically work with Cash App.
Prepaid cards with government access are used by the federal government to load benefits like veterans’ or social security benefits.
See our guide on without a card, paying with Cash App in-store.
How To Add a Gift Card to Cash App?
Gift cards cannot currently be added to Cash App. Only accounts affiliated to the Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover brands are accepted.
Adding a gift card to Cash App is as simple as the following, should they ever link:
- Launch on your mobile device.
- Tap the building icon in the lower-left corner to access the “My Cash” tab.
- Select +Including a Credit Card” under the name of your bank.
- Enter your gift card details if they are available.
- Add the gift card to your Cash App account by tapping “Add Card.”
Find out how to delete the Cash App payment method.
How to Transfer Money from Gift Card to Cash App?
Cash App does not directly accept gift cards. However, alternative ways are to transfer money from a gift card to Cash App with .
Card Cash is one of the places to sell gift cards for the most money. In addition, you can use discounted gift cards to save money on purchases.
To transfer funds from gift cards to Cash App, follow these steps:
- Go to the .
- Enter the merchant’s name, your gift card balance and select “Get Offer.” You’ll get an offer to buy your gift card for money to send to your PayPal account.
- Accept the amount by selecting “Win X dollars.”
- Pick PayPal Express as your preferred payment option.
- Your gift card number and PIN code should be connected to your PayPal account.
- Confirm by selecting “Discover my PayPal Balance.”
- When the funds arrive in your PayPal Wallet, you can transfer them to your bank account.
- Add the discounted gift card money to Cash App after your bank account receives the money from PayPal Wallet.
Although there are several steps involved in transferring money from a gift card to Cash App, once you’ve done it a few times, it will become much simpler.
Learn how to make a bank account transfer from an EDD card.
Can You Add a Visa Gift Card to Cash App?
A Visa gift card cannot be added to Cash App.
A prepaid Visa card can be used to make purchases at merchants all around the world that accept Visa debit cards. You cannot transfer the balance from your Visa gift card to your Cash App account, therefore we advise utilizing it to pay bills, buy things online and in stores, or pay for services.
See our guide on shops where I can load my Cash App card.
How To Transfer Money from Visa Gift Card to Cash App?
You cannot immediately transfer funds from a Visa gift card to your Cash App account. As a result, we have a different approach that needs a PayPal account to be used.
Money from a Visa Gift Card can be linked to and transferred from your PayPal wallet to your Cash App.
Steps to link a gift card to a PayPal account:
- Access your PayPal account.
- Select “PayPal Balance,” which enters your wallet balance.
- Choose “Link a Card.”
- Enter your gift card details such as the card number, card type, expiration date, security code, and billing address, then select “Link Card.”
You can transfer the PayPal balance to your Cash App account once the Visa Gift Card has been linked to your PayPal account.
Steps to transfer gift card cash from PayPal to Cash App:
- In the PayPal app, select “Transfer Money.”
- Choose “Send Money to Your Bank.”
- If you haven’t already, you can now link your Cash App debit card.
- Choose the cash amount to transfer from PayPal to Cash App. Then review the transaction details and confirm by selecting “Transfer.”
See our guide on why Cash App claims that it cannot currently link cards.
Can I Add a Prepaid Card to Cash App?
No, you cannot add a prepaid card to Cash App. Your Cash App account can only be linked to a bank account, debit card, or credit card. Instead, link prepaid cards to mobile payment apps such as PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
But, Cash App does accept prepaid cards that are issued by the government. Gift cards and prepaid cards bought both online and offline are therefore incompatible with Cash App.
You can Lowe’s sells gift cards, Food Lion, Sheetz, Publix, Target, Walgreens, Safeway, and CVS.
Add a Gift Card to Cash App Summary
does not support gift cards because it’s not compatible with gift-based cards. Instead, it only supports linked bank accounts, either debit or credit cards from Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
But, there are ways to link a PayPal account to Cash App in order to add a gift card.
See our ways to resolve the Cash App error “This device cannot sign in” guide.