In these age of online education and remote learning, nothing beats a trustworthy laptop to get you through the semester. Laptops, on the other hand, are notoriously pricey, especially if the specifications you require are on the higher end of the scale.
From powerful high-end computers to ultralight portable tablets, our list of eleven good laptops for online college majors covers the gamut.
Computer science, architecture, law, cinema, animation, mechanical engineering, programming, web design, civil engineering, nursing, and medical students are among the majors offered.
To choose the best laptop for online majors, choose a degree that most closely matches your field of study.
Best Laptop for Computer Science Majors
- Best Laptop for Computer Science Majors
- Best Laptop for Architecture Students
- Best Laptop for Law Students
- Best Laptop for Film Students
- Best Laptop for Animation Students
- Best Laptop for Mechanical Engineering Students
- Best Laptop for Programming Students
- Best Laptop for Web Design Students
- Best Laptop for Civil Engineering Students: Dell XPS
- Best Laptop for Medical Students
- 11. Best Laptop for Nursing Majors
- Good Laptops for Online College Summary
1. Acer Aspire 5 A515-55-56VK 15.6” i5 Laptop for Computer Science Majors
Many heavy applications used by CS majors, such as Python, Java, and R Studio, necessitate the use of a powerful laptop to perform calculations fast. The Acer Aspire 5 is a low-cost, high-performance laptop that can handle almost any task you throw at it.
Though it’s one of the category’s pricier models, it’s already equipped with a 10th gen i5 quad-core CPU and 8GB of RAM. It even has backlit keys for those all-night programming sessions and an extra RAM slot in case you’ve saved up enough money for an upgrade.
- Battery life of up to 8 hours
- Fingerprint reader
- 15.6-inch full HD IPS display
- USB 3.1 Type-C, USB 3.1 power-off charging, USB 2.0, and an HDMI connector with HDCP compliance are among the ports available.
- Lightweight 5.74 pounds
- Wireless WiFi 6
- Defective product warranty of one year
Best Laptop for Architecture Students
2. Acer Aspire E 15 15.6” Laptop for Architecture Students
Computer-aided design (CAD) and modeling software are required for architecture students. As a result, you need a laptop for architecture students with a powerful GPU and a reasonable amount of RAM. The Acer Aspire E 15 already comes with 4GB of DDR4 memory and an Intel HD Graphics 620 GPU, as well as a 256GB SSD.
Due to the sheer needed to support most modeling software, it has a bulkier build than alternative laptops. For the price, budding architects won’t find a better deal.
- LED display, 15.6 Full HD widescreen
- Battery life of up to 12 hours
- Hard drive capacity of 1 TB
- Fast 802.11ac wireless
- ColorBlast technology from Acer boasts more than twice the number of colors as a typical laptop.
Best Laptop for Law Students
3. Acer Chromebook 15 CB315-1HT-C4RY Laptop for Law Students
Due to the documental nature of their intended profession, law students, unlike most other degrees on the list, do not require a lot of computing power or high-end graphics. As a result, a laptop with sufficient processor and battery power will suffice.
An Acer Chromebook 15 will be the perfect laptop for law students. It has 4GB of RAM, an Intel HD GPU, and 32GB of storage. Note, however, that it’s a Chromebook, so it runs on Chrome OS as opposed to your usual Windows. Chrome is designed for faster processes in exchange for limited features.
- 15.6″ Full HD IPS Display
- Touch display
- Battery life of up to 13 hours
- Two full-sized The monitor has built-in speakers.
- Weighs 5.84 pounds
Best Laptop for Film Students
4. HP Omen 15-ax250wm Laptop for Film Students
Film students, like architecture students, require a laptop with a powerful GPU in order to edit, produce, and export videos quickly. For quality viewing, a film student must pay attention to their display requirements.
The HP Omen 15 has an i7 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and a full 15.6 inch of anti-glare IPS display. If you weren’t aware, IPS is the that gives you full RGB coverage. Most budget laptops come in TN (whose color isn’t very good), so Omen 15 is your best bet.
- DDR4-2400 SDRAM (12 GB)
- Hard drive capacity of 1 TB
- Audio by Bang & Olufsen
- Red backlit keyboard
- 12.3 ounces
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
Best Laptop for Animation Students
5. Razer Blade 15 Laptop for Animation Students
Animation laptops are some of the most expensive computers and for a good reason. Not only do they need a very powerful and fast GPU and CPU to render projects efficiently, but an exemplary RGB display and a massive storage capability.
Given its high level of technology, the Razers Blade 15 is a true deal. It comes with an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card, and a 15.6-inch FHD edge-to-edge display.
Because of its lower battery life of six hours, the Razer Blade is a more economical laptop for animation students than several $2,500 choices. It’s a good thing that animating doesn’t need pupils to be on the move.
- .78 inches thin
- Ultralight 4.7 pounds
- CNC Aluminum Anodization
- WiFi 6
- Gigabit ethernet
- Thunderbolt 3
- HDMI, USB type-A, and type-C ports
Best Laptop for Mechanical Engineering Students
6. MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX-615 Laptop for Mechanical Engineering Students
For much of their work, mechanical engineering students use processor-intensive CAD software. Consumers can save money by purchasing a laptop that does not require the largest and most powerful battery because they will be using it as a desktop replacement. Much of the work is created, presented, and submitted at home or at the office. A travel laptop is definitely unnecessary for an engineer on the run. As a result, your alternatives are a little more diverse. This can help frugal shoppers save money.
The MSI GF63 is a multipurpose laptop that can be used for gaming, CAD design, and even coding. The battery life is only around 7ish hours, but the laptop easily compensates with a 15.6” inch IPS, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti GPU, and 515GB solid-state storage.
- Ultra-lightweight 4.10 pounds
- 0.85 thin
- Designed to run noticeably cooler and quieter than before.
- Single-lit keyboard
- Brushed aluminum chassis
- 3D surround sound
Best Laptop for Programming Students
7. Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop for Programming Students
For aspiring programmers, the most essential feature is CPU power and speed. The higher your CPU, the more processes you can run at a time, making it ideal for coding.
The Lenovo Legion Y520 has an i7-7700HQ processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU. A fast 512 GB SSD storage disk is included.
Its only downside is how the colors aren’t 100% accurate, especially on more high-resolution images, but you don’t need that for programming.
- Full HD display with anti-glare LED backlighting
- Backlit keyboard
- WiFi AC
- Weighs 5.2 pounds
- 2 USB ports on the left and 1 USB port on the right)
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
Best Laptop for Web Design Students
8. Asus ZenBook 13” Ultra-Slim UX325JA-DB71 Laptop for Web Design Students
Web designers need laptops that combine an animator’s GPU requirement (though not as intensive) and a programmer’s CPU. Designers use graphic software like Adobe to create your UI and programming software like Atom to write code.
The Asus ZenBook 13 is a hybrid laptop that offers the best of both worlds. It comes with an Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, and 512GB of SSD storage. The built-in Intel HD 620 GPU handles all of the graphics on the system, using device memory as video memory to speed up graphics-intensive activities.
The Asus ZenBook 13-inch is so light and portable that it will fit in almost any For teachers, a rolling tote or cart is useful. or students.
- 2.62 pound ultra-lightweight and 13.9mm thin
- Battery life of up to 22 hours
- Charge up to 60% in 40 minutes with the fast charge feature.
- WiFi 6
- For facial recognition, there’s an infrared camera built in.
- Thunderbolt 3 USB-C, USB Type-A, MicroSD, and HDMI are among the ports available.
Best Laptop for Civil Engineering Students: Dell XPS
9. Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop for Civil Engineering Students
To run CAD software for designing public structures, any civil engineering laptop for students must have powerful specifications. It should also have a long-lasting battery so that students can take it with them to on-site tasks.
Aside from a 9th generation i7 Intel processor, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU, this laptop’s is built with multiple transistors. The transistors allow the machine to operate at different voltages. This means that depending on the power the software needs, the laptop will draw the right amount of voltage to keep itself at an optimal charge.
- 15.6-inch OLED display
- 256GB solid-state drive
- It only weighs 5.51 pounds.
- Thunderbolt, two USB 3.0 ports, and an SD card reader
- 802.11bgn wireless
- 90% of a laptop’s components can be reused or recycled.
Best Laptop for Medical Students
10. HP Pavilion x360 14” 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop for Medical Students
There were no items found.
Medical students have identical requirements to legal students. They don’t require rigorous standards to do their college studies. It is, nevertheless, preferable to choose a laptop for medical students that is also portable. It might be utilized in a lab or while demonstrating as a resident.
The HP Pavilion x360 14” 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop is multifunctional. It’s built with a that allows it to be folded outward to look like a tablet. The x360 is lightweight and weighs around 3lbs, and is ultra-thin.
- It just weighs 14 ounces and is 0.71 inches thick.
- PCIe solid-state drive, 256GB
- 801.11ac wireless
- Security fingerprint reader
11. Best Laptop for Nursing Majors
Lenovo Chromebook Duet 2-in-1 Laptop for Nursing Majors
Nursing majors need a laptop with two features for their profession: reliable battery life and portability. They take their laptops everywhere they go, whether that’s around the campus or tasked to observe and take notes in a medical facility.
The Lenovo Chromebook Duet 10.1 comes highly recommended. At a weight of less than 2 pounds, it’s one of the lightest laptops on the market. With a screen size of 10.1 inches and a battery life of 10 hours, the Chromebook Duet is ideal for running software like Microsoft Office and nursing programs. WiFi, Bluetooth, a webcam, and a backlit keyboard are among the additional features.
- Laptop that is ultraportable, tiny, and light.
- Touchscreen with support for the USI pen
- 10.1-inch Full-HD IPS display
- Solid-state hard drive
Good Laptops for Online College Summary
There is a good laptop for online college majors, no matter your specialization. You just have to consider the tasks that you need to perform, the necessary specs, and, of course, its price. Do your research, and you’ll choose the right one.
Alternatively, while in college, you can use the laptop to generate some additional cash at home by selling crafts, online tutoring, and other activities to help pay for college—just an idea for those closet entrepreneurs.