Sometimes all you need to do is cash a check, but you either forgot your ID or don’t have one right now. How do you behave? Do you have to wait until you have the printed ID in order to receive your money?
You can cash checks at the locations listed in this article without a valid ID or bank account. Due to the possibility of fraud, not all places will cash a third-party check.
Government-issued checks, Social Security checks, tax return checks, paychecks, pension benefits, and government stimulus funds are among the sorts of checks that can be cashed without a photo ID.
Do You Need Your ID to Cash a Check?
- Do You Need Your ID to Cash a Check?
- Who Cashes Checks Without an ID?
- What are Acceptable Forms of ID to Cash a Check?
- How to Cash a Cashier’s Check Without ID?
- How to Cash a Payroll Check Without ID?
- Where to Cash a Cashier’s Check Without ID?
- Can you Cash a Check With a Temporary ID?
- Can a Minor Cash a Check With a School ID?
- Where to Find No ID Check Cashing Near Me?
- Cash Check Without ID at Walmart
- How Much Does Walmart Charge To Cash A Stimulus Check?
- If I Owe Back Taxes, Will I Get a Third Stimulus Check?
- Mobile Check Cashing Apps
- Best Mobile Check Deposit App
- Where to Cash Personal Checks Without a Bank Account?
- Can I Endorse a Check to Someone Else?
- How to Sign Check Over to Someone Else?
- Where Can I Cash My Stimulus Check Without an ID Near Me?
- Can I Endorse my Stimulus Check to Someone Else?
- Can I Cash a Check with an Expired ID?
- Places That Cash Checks Without ID Summary
In most cases, you do require at least one primary ID in order to cash a check. Passports and drivers licenses are the two principal forms of government-issued identification that are used the most.
In some instances, the primary IDs can be replaced by two secondary IDs, such as a student ID and an work ID. The purpose of these restrictions is to protect you. This prevents anyone else from cashing your check.
Of course, there may be moments of emergency when you need to get your cash but do not have the required ID. In those cases, a check I may cash with no ID is also possible at some places.
Who Cashes Checks Without an ID?
Surprisingly, according to , more than three million Americans don’t have a government-issued picture ID. The most popular form of ID is a driver’s license.
Here are the people don’t have a government-issued driver’s license:
- Elderly – They’ve given up driving and don’t require a driver’s license
- Big city living – People who live in a big city don’t need to drive around and choose to use public transportation or applications for carpooling like Curb, Uber or Lyft.
- Poor People cannot afford safe, dependable transportation. The alternatives to driving a car include using the train, bus, biking, walking, or ridesharing.
- Time limitations Despite the fact that life has been busier over the past few decades, many young people still don’t acquire drivers’ licenses.
- Convenience In large cities with heavy traffic, this is a major issue. Even those who can afford a car choose to use public transportation because it is simply more convenient, despite the widespread belief that owning and maintaining a car may be fairly expensive. If getting a license to drive a car is more expensive, slower, and challenging, why would you do it?
- Technology Two decades ago, you could simply drive to the closest store to buy whatever you needed. Everything can now be delivered to your door thanks to technology. The number of persons who routinely drive has drastically decreased as a result. Online socializing happens more frequently than ever before. The number of cars on the road has never been lower due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the increasing remoteness of employment.
What are Acceptable Forms of ID to Cash a Check?
Before we even get into the facts of cashing a check without an ID, you should first look at some acceptable IDs for cashing checks. As mentioned earlier, most establishments will require primary IDs, while others are okay with secondary IDs.
A check can be cashed using the following forms of identification:
Primary IDs Once more, the most reliable IDs are those issued by the government:
- Driver’s license or learner’s permit photos
- Real ID
- Military photo ID
Naturally, the passport, visa, and the other items on the list should all be US-issued identification if you reside in the US. You must check the expiration date because the IDs must be current. Even though your name and picture are still on the ID, it won’t be accepted if it has expired.
You can only cash your check using two different secondary IDs if you are unable to obtain any primary photos for some reason. Some of these backup identification documents are still issued by the government, but they don’t carry the same weight as the originals. Because they require more effort to get, primary IDs are regarded as the most reliable.
Here are a few potential backup methods of identification:
- photo identification card for aliens
- Birth certificate
- picture ID with a work permit
- Employment photo ID
- picture ID with a foreign driver’s license
- a photo ID and a firearms permit
- permanent resident identification card
- School photo ID
- Welfare photo ID
Your birth certificate and your employment ID are two combinations that you might be able to use. Unless there is another reason why you are looking for ways to transact without any ID at all, this combination is accessible.
How to Cash a Cashier’s Check Without ID?
For those who are still struggling to cash their check, here are ways ways to use a cashier’s check without identification:
- Issuing bank: Use the issuing bank to cash the check. Verify the bank’s name on the cheque itself.
- Employ the services of the check-cashing business in your area.
- Local Grocery Stores and Retailers: Some retailers can cash the check for you. Here is a list of the best locations for 24-hour check cashing like grocery stores and discount department stores.
- ATM: Place the check on a prepaid debit card and deposit it into an ATM.
It is simple to cash a cashier’s check without an ID using the four options listed above. But there are costs involved. The costs may not deter you if you simply use the retailer or check-cashing store once. These are quite low after all. On the other hand, if you have to cash checks every month, the costs can mount up quickly.
The process can take a while as you attempt to avoid the standard check-cashing regulations. For instance, if you deposit a check using an ATM, you might need to wait at least a few banking days before the money appears in your checking or savings account. It does, however, guarantee that you receive your money without a photo ID.
There is a simple solution to this issue if you are close with someone who possesses identification, such as a friend or family member. Simply sign the check over to the other party, who will cash it on your behalf and allow you to withdraw the funds.
However, be sure to only sign a check over to a person you can trust. If the bank requests proof that the check was signed, you might need to be present and bring identification, which could cause more issues.
This method can also be used to cash checks for insurance settlements and retirement plan distributions without a bank account.
How to Cash a Payroll Check Without ID?
Our suggestions for cashing a salary check without identification are quite similar. Create a checking account; this is the simplest method. Ask your employer to transfer your paycheck into your checking account by direct deposit so you can then. Some employers offer assistance when opening a bank account, particularly those who demand that accounts be opened at a specific bank.
You can also use an ATM to deposit your check.
Where to Cash a Cashier’s Check Without ID?
As to without an ID, where can I cash a cashier’s check?, we again go back to what was said earlier. However, we will be looking at the locations alone. This way, you know where to go and get the transaction started:
- bank that issues checks
- Credit union issuing checks
- Select retail stores
- Check cashing establishments
- ATM of your bank
Where you opt to cash your cheque without any ID on you will determine the procedure.
Can you Cash a Check With a Temporary ID?
Yes, you can cash a check with a temporary ID in most establishments. Some of them only recognize transient IDs with pictures. Thus, while you wait for your official main ID, see if your state can give you one.
But here’s the thing: in order to apply for a temporary ID, you must present the standard forms of identification that can also be used as backup IDs. You’ll have to pay a charge and wait for at least ten days before receiving the temporary ID. It feels like a streamlined version of what you would have experienced if you had applied for a permanent ID.
As the name implies, a temporary ID is only good for 30 days. Because the word TEMPORARY is prominently displayed on it, there is no way to get away with acting as though it is permanent. You could need to submit a new application or just hope that your permanent ID has already arrived in the mail.
Can a Minor Cash a Check With a School ID?
A secondary ID is a student ID. If it has the owner’s full name, photo ID, address, and an active ID, it is regarded as valid. When you can back it up with a birth certificate, you’re good to go.
However, businesses might be leery of a child cashing a check. The age becomes a problem in this situation. You might need to accompany your child if he needs to cash a check for some reason. It’s a great approach to start early teaching him how to pay a check.
Notwithstanding the check’s origin, the minor should be accompanied by a parent or guardian when cashing it. Another option for a simpler transaction is to endorse the check to an adult.
Where to Find No ID Check Cashing Near Me?
You may be wondering: where are some of the best Nearby no-ID check cashing locations? Perhaps you’re looking for something convenient. How about an emergency where you need to cash a check, but you cannot get ahold of your IDs. It happens. Life can bring about so many surprises, not goes smoothly.
Luckily for you, there are many establishments with several branches that cash checks with no ID. As a bonus, some places offer 24-hour check cashing. So, imagine if you need the cash in the middle of the night. You got robbed, and all that is left is that envelope with your check that the robbers ignored. Well, you can get some cash. I know it is a crazy scenario, but you can at least be thankful for some emergency places to cash your checks. Of course, hopefully, this never happens to you!
Near you, there are probably open Walmarts, Krogers, Publixs, Giant Eagles, Food City Supermarkets, Albertsons Shops, and other supermarkets of a similar nature. They provide no ID cash checking near you for a set charge. Further providing personal check cashing with cashback are Kroger and Albertsons.
In terms of banks, there are more nearby ATMs than there are nearby supermarkets. Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Capital Bank, SunTrust Bank, Citibank, and more banks accept ATM deposits.
Most places to get money orders also deal with check cashing. Consider trying Community Financial Service Centers, PLS 24/7 Financial Services, and Speedy Cash for your financial service needs. Even gas stations such as Dillons and convenience stores such as 7/11 are great alternatives for check cashing places that don’t require ID near me.
Every corner seems to have a location offering check cashing without identification. Just be mindful of what each area requires.
Cash Check Without ID at Walmart
In the previous section, cashing a check without an ID at Walmart has already been recommended. Walmart has over 4,700 locations throughout the United States. Not only does Walmart provide financial services, but they also sell a variety of goods, conduct auto maintenance, and make keys.
Walmart has made it clear that it wants to provide you with a variety of services at a single location while keeping pricing as low as possible.
How Much Does Walmart Charge To Cash A Stimulus Check?
To cash a stimulus payment up to $1,000, Walmart charges $4. A flat $8 fee is applied when cashing stimulus checks worth $1,000 to $5,000. The ceiling was $7,500 when the initial stimulus cheques were distributed, but it is now lower.
If I Owe Back Taxes, Will I Get a Third Stimulus Check?
You will receive a stimulus check, even if you owe back taxes on the most recent third check. Under the , all stimulus payments are protected from offset debts. You’ll still get a payment if you owe child support, past-due state or federal debt, past-due student loans, and overpayment of federal and unemployment benefits.
Though, your stimulus check is not protected from non-government debt, such as credit card delinquency or medical bills. It can be seized once it hits your checking account.
Mobile Check Cashing Apps
Visit the app store on your device if you’d like less hassle. Check cashing apps are available on Google Play and the Apple App Store. It might be necessary to compare their transaction amount caps and charges.
The mobile check cashing apps can be linked to your bank account, prepaid card, debit card, or PayPal account. They usually have the means to scan your check for you. Once the check is scanned, the transaction can finish in a few hours or even days. Fees can vary, too. Some mobile check cashing apps, like , promise to process your transaction within minutes.
Best Mobile Check Deposit App
The best mobile check deposit app at the time of writing is Ingo (also known as inGO) Money. It has a connection to the information app inGo, which scans information from publications like newspapers.
The Check cashing app inGO assists you with no ID check cashing anywhere, anytime. It makes things very convenient because you don’t have to line up at the bank and to wonder if they will accept your requirements or not.
The app can cash money orders in addition to checks. Payroll checks, corporate checks, federal government checks, and personal checks are all accepted. If you use a mobile deposit app to deposit your checks rather than going to your bank’s branch, you can spend more time with your family (or watching Netflix).
Here are some additional mobile check deposit apps to take into account:
- Check Cashing Store
Check to see if any of the aforementioned work with your gadget.
Where to Cash Personal Checks Without a Bank Account?
If you want to cash personal checks without a bank account, try one of the places listed below:
- Issuing bank: The first place to consider when a personal check to be cashed without a bank account is the issuing bank or credit union itself. The bank will still ask for valid identification. So, get your primary ID or your two secondary IDs ready. You may also want to bring your temporary ID card to show that the state has confirmed your identity. Since you are not banking at this particular bank – or don’t have your own bank account – you will be paid the amount in cash. Always take the necessary precautions on the way home because you will be carrying cash around.
- Local grocery store: Several of the shops and supermarkets in your area that are listed above can also cash cheques without a bank account; phone ahead to make sure. Several businesses are open on weekends and, in some circumstances, around-the-clock on federal holidays. You won’t require a bank account because the financial services desk will pay you in the specified cash amount.
- Payday lender: The most expensive location that cashes checks without ID is a payday lender. The priciest choice is a check cashing business. They don’t ask many questions and you get your money quickly because this is the main financial service they offer. Before visiting the location, you should probably inquire about their check cashing costs in case they are a bit high. If so, compare prices. Since most check cashing businesses are open around-the-clock, they can justify charging higher transaction fees as a convenience.
The banking institutions listed above may seem useful enough, yet each one charges fees. Only your bank offers free check cashing.
All of them are excellent solutions for emergencies, but don’t use them as your go-to choices. Find a way to obtain a primary ID or a collection of secondary IDs so you may deposit the money into your own checking account without having to go via a third party. Direct account deposits are always more affordable and secure.
Can I Endorse a Check to Someone Else?
Yes, you can designate a different recipient on a check. But this is your last option. As opposed to someone who might steal your money, you should endorse your check to someone you can trust.
What steps should you take?
To learn how to sign your paper check over to someone else, read the section after that.
How to Sign Check Over to Someone Else?
Sign your name, write Pay to the order of, followed by the full name of the trusted friend or family member, and address the check to that individual. Make sure you spell the person’s name precisely as it appears on their ID. For a check to properly clear, the signature on it and the signature card on file at the bank must match.
You must take the check ID to the bank with the person you have endorsed the check to. The good news is that the bank will process and cash the check without requiring you to present your own set of identification.
Where Can I Cash My Stimulus Check Without an ID Near Me?
Without a photo ID, there are five ways to pay your stimulus check:
- Your Bank or Credit Union If you don’t have identification, your present financial institution will still cash your cheque. If you choose to cash the stimulus check rather than deposit it, they may inquire about your SSN, address, birthdate, and other personal information to verify your identity.
- Mobile deposit – Use the mobile app from your financial institution (brokerage, bank, etc.) to deposit and cash the check online with an ID. Go to your ATM or ask for an ACH once you deposit the stimulus check via the app. Check clearing times will vary by institution.
- You can cash checks using PayPal and have the funds credited to your PayPal Cash Plus account. To take a picture and send it for approval, use the PayPal app on your phone or other mobile device. For paper stimulus cheques deposited and required for immediate use, PayPal is waiving the charge! Usually, if you want the money right away, you’ll have to pay a fee; if you wait 10 days, there are no fees.
- 7-Eleven – The convenience store chain has a 7-Eleven debut card program. Using your phone, the can cash a stimulus check and apply the funds to your debit card account. Fees may vary.
- Peer-to-Peer Payment Platform – Use payment apps like and Zelle to cash your stimulus check online without an ID using your phone. Understand the applicable fees before using.
Alternative ways to cash a stimulus check without an ID or bank account include PayPal, Trans@ct Card, and peer-to-peer payment platforms.
To avoid expenses, we suggest cashing your stimulus cheque at your neighborhood bank or credit union.
According to the , about 8 million Americans will have their stimulus money sent on a debit card. Some stimulus payments are being sent via an Economic Impact Payment debit card because the IRS doesn’t have a bank account on file or to speed up the delivery process. Unfortunately, you cannot request to receive your stimulus check by debit card.
Can I Endorse my Stimulus Check to Someone Else?
Some local banks and credit unions may cash checks from non-customers. The financial institutions are more likely to cash a stimulus check since it’s government-backed. Also, some banks will not cash checks larger than $1,000 for non-customers. Pay attention to non-customer check cashing service fees.
Can I Cash a Check with an Expired ID?
To cash a check, you need a current, valid ID. The financial institution might accept other kinds of identification if yours has expired.
Places That Cash Checks Without ID Summary
The standards for cash checking can be circumvented in a few different ways. There are locations where you can get convenient cashing for a cost. The availability of grocery stores, petrol stations, check cashing businesses, and similar establishments makes it simple to locate one. Some blatantly publicize their offerings. Attempt to limit your choices to the ones we’ve listed in our article. Checking internet evaluations of local independent check cashing businesses that don’t demand ID is encouraged.
As an alternative, you can use an app to cash the check, use the ATM if you do have an account to deposit into, or endorse your check to a trusted individual with identification.
These ID-free cash checking solutions shouldn’t be used routinely; they should only be used in dire circumstances. Not just for cashing checks and purchasing money orders, having primary and backup IDs on hand is essential for the majority of transactions.
Start the process of getting a new ID if yours is lost. The processing and shipping of replacement IDs can take several weeks. Attempt getting a temporary ID while you wait. I ordered a state ID as a backup when I received my new driver’s license, which cost a few dollars more. I would advise you to follow suit!
See our guide on Walmart’s money services and check-cashing policies.